Social Determinants of Health: Life Expectancy and the Relationship with Race, Education and Poverty in Delaware. Kalyn McDonough, PhD Candidate. Kalyn presented this poster at the University of Delaware GIS Meeting in November, 2018 and then again at the Partnership for Healthy Communities Steering Committee. The poster and abstract will be published in the February issue of the Delaware Journal of Public Health.
Erin Knight, CCRS Associate Director, attended the American Public Health Association Policy Action Institute Public Health Under Siege: Improving Policy in Turbulent Times Washington, DC, February 7, 2019.
Stephen Metraux, CCRS Director, has:
- participated in research that was the focus of an all-day convening on "Aging and Homelessness: Implications for the Future" in Washington D.C. on January 15, sponsored by the National Alliance to End Homelessness and featured on philly.com. The report, The Emerging Crisis of Aged Homelessness: A Multi-Site Research Project is now available.
- been invited to join the Center for Evidence-based Solutions to Homelessness as a member of their panel of experts. The Center is a source of evidence-based research that informs practice in the field and policy formation.
- taken on a role as mentor for Navin Vij, a physician at Christiana Care's Value Institute (VI), in his project "Homelessness within and beyond the hospital walls: using electronic medical records to help improve the delivery of care for the homeless," that recently received a Mentored Research Development Award from the Delaware CTR ACCEL program. Work on this project will provide an opportunity for CCRS and Dr. Vij to collaborate on developing data-informed approaches to improve health care for homeless persons.
The Partnership for Healthy Communities and CCRS provided a series of Wilmington-based workshops on the intersection of health and community development:
- Jan. 17th (1-4 PM) - Community-Based Approaches to Health Equity
- Feb. 4th (9 AM -12) - Exploring Innovation: The Intersection of Health and Community Development